Tuesday 26 December 2017

SPOTLIGHT ON: 3000 Series Chronograph and Two Tone Three Hander

 

Rifling through eBay, one can't help but be drawn to some of the TAGs of old, especially since the prices seem so thoroughly reasonable. These two watches 237.406 & 934.213 were up for just a couple of hundred quid each, which is so very tempting to a watch magpie like me.


The bezel is a tad faded and the gold is mottled and rubbed, but this watch must be thirty years old now and still looks rather striking. I can't quite make up my mind what I think about the ball bearings (?) sticking out of the side of the bezel... I mean I don't quite get why they are there. Do they have a purpose or are they merely ornamental? I'm not too sure...


Early TAG Heuers used leftover 'Heuer' branded parts as we can see here on this well worn clasp.

237.406

I don't have any kind of gold watch, and I don't think the worn gold would bother me as much as PVD that had rubbed off (that seems to be a recurring stumbling block when it comes to looking at pre-owned Grand Carreras), and this one is the larger of these two, measuring 40mm (including the crown). Which is right on the edge of being 'acceptable' for me.

The chronograph looks considerably more chunky than the silver dial watch below as well, which might help matters, although it's a shame there's not more of a contrast between the dial and the subdials.


It's a shame the bezel is so scratched up, but I guess with gold being so soft there's bound to be some elements of wear on a watch this old that's been worn as intended.


Fans of slender watches rejoice, this looks far too delicate for a big lad like me... albeit probably a little too large for my wife. 


At 38mm including the crown this is definitely not something I would feel comfortable wearing, which is a shame because for once I actually don't mind the two-tone design. The unapologetic  dodecagon bezel is striking and reminiscent of the latest Aquaracer range, maybe it's a bit 'period' for some, but I rather like it. Such a shame it's too small for my wrist.

934.213

If you fancy a bid on the silver dial watch in the lower pictures, you can view the eBay auction HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment