Tuesday 26 December 2017

SPOTLIGHT ON: 1500 Series Blue Dial Two Tone Watch


Personally, I've never been one of those people who get extremely excited over blue dial watches. I know there's a lot of people out there who really, really love them and can eulogize for hours about how amazing they are, and occasionally I have seen a blue dial watch and thought 'Yeah, okay... that is actually quite nice'. One which immediately springs to mind is the Air-K Carrera with the PVD case and bracelet from a couple of years ago, but mostly I can take them or leave them.


This however, is rather stunning. Again, as I commented in my previous post, I'm not much of a fan of two-tone watches, but this combined with the blue dial looks magnificent on this particular example. Annoyingly, the seller (who seems to possess some outstanding photography chops) has obscured the model number from the back of the case, perhaps wrongly thinking it was the serial number.


The watch looks in fabulous condition, so good in fact that it almost looks 'too good'... I imagine it's been through a fair amount of polishing, not to mention any number of photographic filters to make it look that good. But then again, maybe the previous owner was someone like me who likes to keep their collection in tip-top condition?


Alas, the watch is a scant 36mm across the case, which is too small for me. But I couldn't resist sharing these wonderful pictures of a very nice looking piece indeed. I've always rather liked these 1500 series models and there are always examples with the 'granite' style dial popping up on eBay for not much money, but this one takes things to a whole other level.


I think the difference between this, and say an Omega Planet Ocean with a blue dial, is the kind of blue. This 'jewel' effect blue is a world away from the flat darker mid-blue you get on your bog standard Planet Oceans, and really steps it up and sets of the gold elements of the bracelet and case perfectly.

Currently the auction has another six days to run and bidding on this quartz watch has already reached £350, and with 39 bids already I can well imagine this watch is going to go way, way above that. Truth be told, even if this was a larger size, being that it's on offer from the USA I would have to be mindful of import taxes, but if you live on the other side of the Atlantic this could well be one for you?

Here's a link to the acution if you are interested - BLUE DIAL 1500 SERIES TAG HEUER
And of course as always I should point out that I have no connection to this auction, nor can I vouch for the seller in any way.

4 comments:

  1. This one is a true beauty! I love blue dials, gold and/or two tone :)

    Not a big fan of gold plating though, unlike you I have a bigger problem with worn down gold plating than a worn out black pvd coating

    Kindly
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim
      Yeah, it's gorgeous isn't it? I'm sure the worn down gold would annoy me as well, but I'm more scared of buying the new Senna Carrera Heuer01 and the black coming off the bracelet.

      Delete
    2. Yes a black bracelet seems like a terrible idea if one is planning to actually wear the watch! :)

      Delete
    3. I mean I wouldn't wear it daily, but I'd still be paranoid about putting it on a table when I was wearing it out, I think I'll either go for a Grand Carrera or a Heuer 01 with a leather strap.

      Delete