Thursday 28 December 2017

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Link Watch

WBC2112.BA0603

Goldsmiths, Milton Keynes / 28th December 2017

It occurred to me yesterday that I had never tried on one of the new Link watches, and since I was heading to Milton Keynes today for some retail therapy (not really, I spent more on parking than I did in the shops) I thought I should make a point of getting one on my wrist, if only so I could blog about it.

Because, in all honesty, the vast majority of the 'Link' watches don't really appeal to me all that much. There is a 'Searacer' I see pop up on Watchfinder now and again, which is based on a Link, which is okay... but mostly they seem a little understated for my tastes. In fact I'm not sure that I'd seen many Links until this year when there was a sudden glut of them at Bicester Village prior to these new ones coming out, and to be honest... seeing them en-masse, they all looked a bit... um, cheap. Actually, there's a better looking one in my local jewellers pre-owned, but they want nearly £3500 for that... I think it's a Calibre 17 or 18, it's the one with the black 'striped' dial anyway.

TAG Heuer Searacer / Link

So anyway, as I always seem to in Milton Keynes, I found myself outside Goldsmiths and re-acquainted myself with the salesman (I think his name is Ian, but I could be wrong), who sat me down and fetched me the blue dial Link I'd asked to see. One of the reasons I wanted to try it on was because in the window I noticed it looked massive, very 'platey' (like a dinner plate, flat and round, obviously) and I was curious to see if it looked different on the wrist.

Actually, I don't know whether it's some kind of illusion but all the watches seem to look big to me in the windows, I don't if it's because they seem to mix the ladies' models in with the mens' and thus they appear larger than they really are, oddly it seems to affect the Aquaracers and Links more than the Carreras. While I'm on the subject of Carreras, there was a very nice blue dial model in Ernest Jones, which I think is technically a ladies, but at 41mm it's big enough for most men to wear.

WAR1112.BA0601

So on the wrist, the Link appears much smaller, at 41mm it's not small, but I was wearing my CAU2012 Formula 1, which is 44mm and chunky, so it felt quite dainty by comparison. Not as dainty as that new Monaco, granted, but with no chronograph module it's fairly thin as well.

I chose the blue dial simply because I rather liked that 1500 Series that's on eBay at the moment (see previous post), but it didn't stand out like I thought it might. The colour seems a little muted, indeed from a lot of angles it looked grey or even black, and when I did get the light on it, it wasn't the nice jewel-blue I'd hoped for. And worse still when you could see the blue, was when the light shone on the dial so that the time was the least readable. 

WBC2110.BA0603

The watch is also available in black (of course) and white dials, and I think perhaps the white is the one I'd go for. It's certainly the most legible, but on the other hand it maybe looks the 'cheapest' of the three... but I don't currently have a white dial watch, and rather too many black dialed ones. While we are here we may as well mention the price, all three come in at £2300, with a Calibre 5 movement, which I guess is okay, although I think I'd rather have the Aquaracer 'Explorer II' WAY2013 and £650 in the pocket if I'm honest. I guess it's slightly unfair to compare a dive watch and a dress watch, but both have steel bracelets and the same movement.

WBC2111.BA0603

The bracelet is very shiny and comfortable, but by golly is it fiddly to do up. It's a long while since I've had a watch with a clasp like this (folding from both sides into the middle and giving the appearance of a solid bracelet) and I'm sure it would get easier with practice, but on first go it seems a bit of a mare. The bracelet seems to taper quite a lot as well, and appears quite narrow on the backside, which I know some people like... I don't particularly, but it's not a major issue.

It was at this point that the salesman started flicking through his dealer catalogue trying to find more information on my CAU2012, which rather distracted me... since any TAG catalogue is like catnip to me, especially a big glossy one that I haven't got (incidentally, I passed through Fraser Hart today and noticed a TAG catalogue on a desk with the words 'Haute Horlogerie' down the spine. I don't know what it was but if it's got Monaco V4s and Mikrographs in it then I want one! Come on eBay, don't let me down. Incidentally, I've had notification that I've acquired the catalogue I was bidding on yesterday, so I'm looking forward to receiving that sometime next week. :)

So where was I, oh yes, the Link has a display caseback, through which you can see the Calibre 5 movement. It's not the most exciting movement I've ever seen, but it's nice that it can be seen all the same, most of the Calibre 5 watches I've looked at have had solid backs I think (probably because they are generally dive watches). 

So, in summary, I think it looks better on the wrist than in the window. The case also appears more rounded when it's on the wrist, you don't really notice the slightly 'cushion' shaped case so much, but I must admit I preferred it when the Link had a bezel. I'm not really that keen on watches without bezels, Carreras aside, and if I was going to buy a Link, I think I would opt for something like the Searacer chronograph pictured above.

That said, if you want a smart looking watch to go with a suit for daily wear, I guess this is a reasonable shout. It's just not really my cup of tea. Still I'm glad I tried it on all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment