Wednesday 8 February 2017

FEATURE: 10 More Interesting TAG Heuers on eBay

As last time, click the photo to visit the eBay sales, and please remember I am not advocating buying from these sellers or vouching for their honesty! 




#1. Grand Carrera Calibre 17 UK Limited Edition

I really like this model and if I hadn't just depleted my TAG fund rather drastically by buying the Microtimer I might have bought this for £2600. However, on closer inspection the seller isn't being entirely straight and honest. It raised an eyebrow when it said there was the balance of a 12 month warranty remaining, which suggests the watch is less than a year old... but with the TAG outlets selling 'new old stock' this was a possibility.

Not so. In the photo there is a receipt which if you zoom in on it shows a watch repair costing £420 dated 13.01.2014. The receipt also mentions two previous repairs... so I think it's clear that the seller is being rather disengenuous to say the least. Also, when you zoom in on the pictures it's clear that the watch has had a bit of a hard life. The bezel seems quite worn around the edges and there appears to be a scratch on the glass near the 12.

All this is rather odd when you consider that the seller has 100% positive feedback on 278 transactions.





#2. KIRIUM QUARTZ WL111G

Offered by a professional seller, this watch looks in decent condition with good close up photographs available. Some scratching to the very shiny bezel, but the price is a very attractive £395 (offers accepted) which would give someone a very nice daily wear for not too much investment.

Size is listed as 43mm including crown so it's probably comparable with my own Formula One Kirium. If the bezel was brushed rather than polished I might have been tempted by this myself.





#3. FORMULA ONE CALIBRE S QUARTZ CAH7010

I am intrigued by the Calibre S movement, despite my recent experience with a recalcitrant Aquaracer at Bicester Village, and I also rather like the looks of the F1 with the white skeletonized hands, so this ticks a lot of boxes for me. On the other hand, it looks a bit too much like my WAH1110-0, which is a pity.

Still, for £650 this looks like a good buy for somebody, and the seller has good feeback.





#4. SLR CALIBRE 17 CAG2111

Offered by Watch Finder Co through eBay, this SLR looks pretty tidy and has a Buy It Now price of £1850, with offers invited. I believe I saw one of these in the TAG outlet in Bicester Village last week, but I can't remember how much it was. I think it was about £2500, but don't quote me on that. Again, I'm not entirely sure why Watch Finder are selling through eBay, maybe it's a way to promote their business and pull people who aren't aware of them to their website?

I have tried on of these on before and I do like the strap but found the watch itself a bit ugly. They are a bit misleading on the sizes because the diameter includes the case behind the pushers, so they aren't as big as you might think.





#5. PROFESSIONAL PILOT 1/10 CHRONOGRAPH

A beautiful looking piece from the very earliest days of TAG Heuer, this appears to be in immaculate condition and is priced accordingly at £1200 (open to offers). Seller has good feedback, although it is 'Private' which I find annoying...

This watch is 44mm which makes it big even by today's standards, but it looks much more attractive (in my opinion) than a Breitling Navitimer. Comes with an old style barrel case and outer box. The one thing I would say is that the bracelet looks in unfeasibly good condition, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it has been polished. Still, what a beauty!





#6. 2000 Series 'Professional' White Dial Chronograph CK1111

Listed as 'mint condition', this looks like a nice piece, and at £645 not too expensive a way to pick up a good looking chronograph of a late 90s vintage. The strap will fit up to an 8" wrist, although I can't help thinking that someone with an 8" wrist probably needs a watch bigger than 38mm. I must admit I quite like this one, but again it's probably a bit too small for me. Case looks a bit battered though... but those barrel cases aren't very hardy at the best of times.





#7. F1 QUARTZ CHRONO CARBON FIBRE DIAL CA1211

Funnily enough I have seen this watch in real life, since someone I know through work has one. His has had a hard life though and looks pretty knackered. This one looks much, much better and I would be interested to know how big the case is as this is a very cool looking watch indeed.

My beef, as always, is that buckle. I just know it's not going to sit well with me, and I will end up buying a rubber strap for it. The seller has plenty of good feedback and has sold several TAGs before - whether you think that is a good or bad thing is up to you I guess. He's asking £520 for this one, which doesn't seem too bad given the condition.





#8. 6000 Series Hakkinen Limited Edition CH1114

If I was going to buy a 6000 Series TAG Heuer, then this would probably be the one I'd pick. Limited to 2000 pieces (of which this is number 1655), this one seems to be in great condition and come complete with box and papers, including a warranty card stamped by Ernest Jones and dated 09.04.2000. This one is listed as being 40mm in dia, and is offered at £950 (open to offers).

The seller does seem to have some negative feedback though, so tread extra carefully with this one.





#9. Super Professional 1000M Automatic Diver 840.006

This is kind of cool, I rather like the brutalist design and at 42mm it's right up to date size wise. Apparently the bezel lume has been re-applied, but other than that it's all in very good shape and running well. It sounds like the seller knows what he's talking about and offers lots of information, which is always reassuring. 

Price is a shade under a grand (£995), which looks fair considering the condition and presumable rarity. I'd much rather wear this than a Seiko 1000m diver, but as I already have the Aquagraph this would be slightly superfluous in my collection (not least because I've never dived in my life).





#10. LADIES ALTER EGO QUARTZ WP1313

Last but not least this Alter Ego from the turn of the century comes at a very affordable £241.99. The crystal is described as flawless, but the photo suggests otherwise. No mention is made of the polished case which is clearly quite scratched, but given the price this could perhaps be brought back to it's former glory? There's no denying the blue dial as absolutely stunning, and the seller has generally good feedback on a huge number of sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment