Friday 13 January 2017

ON THE WRIST: Monaco 24 Calibre 36 Concept

CAL5110.FC6265

TAG Boutique / Bicester Village 1st August 2015

The Holy Grail of TAG Heuer for me at this point, I can't quite believe I ever had one of these on my wrist, even if it was only for a few minutes. As you can see, this was some time ago now, but I remember the price was around £7,500 which was a great saving but still a hell of a lot of money. Strangely I seem to remember being not that impressed at the time, but I think I must have been subconsciously tempering my enthusiasm owing to the price and the infinitesimal chances of me ever owning one! Fast forward a year and a bit and this is right up there for me in my top three most desirable TAG Heuers. 

I just love the Monaco 24, and the more I think about it the more I want one. It probably won't be this one, but I would 'settle' for the CAL5113, which I have seen in the outlet for £6,100, which is still a hell of a lot of money, but a considerable saving on it's £10,000+ list price (and it's still stunning).


The problem is my TAG fund currently stands at £2200, so I'm a long way off £6100, and by the time I get there they could be long gone and then I would end up paying roughly the same for a second hand piece (I have seen one on Watchfinder for about £6500), which seems annoying.

But back to the CAL5110, it really is stunning, although my one reservation is that the pushers and crown are silver on an otherwise completely black watch. I can't decide whether that's a plus or a minus, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. That dial though, Wow...! 

These do show up on eBay of course, but this watch must be one of the most faked TAG Heuers out there, and I'm not really confident enough (or knowledgeable enough) to risk paying out £3,5-4,000 for one that could end up being junk.

Of course, the retail price of this watch is such that you could now get a Carrera Heuer 02T for not much more, but honestly I think I would take the Monaco 24. I don't find the Heuer 02 particularly appealing, other than the fact that it has the tourbillon (which is admittedly extremely cool). 

Oh well, keep saving - keep dreaming.

http://www.calibre11.com/review-monaco-24/

No comments:

Post a Comment