Tuesday 17 January 2017

FEATURE: TAG Heuer Straps

Watch companies spend a lot of time and money refining their designs and getting the look just right, but one element of watch design that is perhaps slightly overlooked is that of getting the right strap. True some straps are interchangeable, but some are not and say you like a watch but don't like the strap, it might be worth checking your options before you put down your hard earned cash. The casual observer might think that watch companies just design their watches and then stick them on whatever strap they have lying around, but that is clearly wide of the mark.

WAY211A.FT6068

Some straps are specifically designed to suit certain models and may be unsuitable for use with other watches. The Aquaracer above is a perfect example, as the rubber strap is specially designed to leave no gaps around the spring bars. Sure you probably can fit any old black rubber strap, but it will never look this good. The choice of strap for your watch can have a huge difference on the overall look as well, compare the image below with the earlier photo of the WAY211A Aquaracer.

WAY211A.BA0928

The bracelet gives the watch a completely different feel. Aside from making it more dressy, the bracelet seems to subdue the yellow highlights on the dial, whereas the yellow edging on the rubber strap compliments and brings out the colour detail on the dial.

The right strap can transform a watch. I really like the Monza 40th Anniversary watch, but I loathe the strap it comes on. I know it's a 'retro' piece (although with it's black coating and red and white markings it looks thoroughly modern to me) but that 'racing' strap with the holes in is just hideous, I'd much prefer to buy it on a rubber tyre-tread strap (or even a plain rubber). 

CR2080.FC6375                        CR2080.FT6042*

Unfortunately the CR2080.FT6042 isn't available (at least not yet...maybe if Mr Biver reads my blog?) but it just shows how important the right strap is for a watch and how much it can change the overall aesthetic.

Currently the TAG Heuer range generally includes four types of straps: Steel, leather/aligator, rubber and nylon. The last is the newest addition to the range and I have to say I am not a fan. I've tried a watch on with the new straps and not only do they look a bit odd but they look kind of cheap as well, which is not what I want when I'm spending thousands of pounds on a watch. 

Here's a few examples...

WAY208C.FC6383    WAY208A.FC6381    WAY208B.FC6382

Wow, so much wrongness in this picture it's hard to know where to start. Actually, having said that, the WAY208C is another perfect example of a watch which looks much better on a different strap, and the blue one is so wrong, that part of me actually likes it. I mean that nylon strap has to go, but the crazy blue markings bring to mind those Christmas lights that everyone has these days which make your eyes go funny if you look at them for more then three seconds. Honestly, if that watch wasn't so expensive I think I'd buy one, but for £2100 it's just too much for such a crazy looking piece.


See, doesn't that look sooo much better? I mean I personally don't like the holes in that black rubber strap, but the potential is obvious. Suddenly the actual watch looks killer and the beige markings look great. It's a similar story here too, where I've manipulated the image of this brand new Carrera model to show you what it looks like with the original distressed leather strap and again the tyre-tread rubber strap from the Senna Carrera.

CV2A84.FC6394                       CV2A84.FT6042*

I really like that, and I think I would seriously consider buying that if TAG were to make it, and failing that, since they are both Carreras, it's a safe bet to assume that the FT6042 strap would fit if you were to purchase it separately. 

Which brings us to a slightly perilous area of TAG Heuer ownership, replacement straps. I've now bought two official TAG rubber straps from ADs, first the BT0702 for the 2000 Series WK1110, and secondly the BT0704 strap for my WAH1110-0. The BT0704 was a very reasonable £45, but the BT0702 was a somewhat eye watering £140... I still can't for the life of me figure out the justification for the difference in price. Both are essentially rubber straps with a steel buckle, if anything the cheaper strap has more detailing and looks better quality.

What you mustn't do, under any circumstances is buy your TAG strap from eBay (or even other internet sites) without checking the prices first with your AD. When I was looking to get the BT0702 I Googled it and found prices anywhere from £200 - £350, which was probably why when my AD told me it was £140 I thought it was actually quite reasonable! 

Similarly, when I was after the BT0704 I found it from about £85 - £150. So it's clear that there's a lot of scoundrels out there looking to fleece the unwary buyer. And of course, buying from eBay can you be 100% sure that what you're buying is the real deal? Faking watches is one thing, faking straps must be a lot easier, and the potential earnings must be huge. Not to mention if you buy a rubber strap from eBay it could contain all sorts of noxious ingredients.

Though it was undoubtedly expensive, the BT0704 transformed the look of my WK1110 and was well worth the money, but my next potential strap purpose is not about aesthetics, but comfort and practicality.

CN211A.BA0353                      CN211A.FT8001

I do love my Aquagraph, but if there's one thing about it that annoys me it's the lack of adjustment on the bracelet. Simply put, there isn't any at all. All you can do is remove links (there is a half link), which is not very practical and makes life difficult in the summer or if your weight fluctuates a lot. So I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a rubber strap for it, I haven't tried my AD yet, but a quick Google suggests a price of £220, which is fairly horrendous and hopefully inflated! 

BT0701 Strap for the TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Seeing as the Aquagraph is a proper hardcore diving watch with a 500M rating and rubber covered chrono pushers, the rubber strap comes with a diving extension which is a bit of a waste because it will never be used and adds to the cost...but I suppose if that's how it comes then that's how it comes. I really need to get a proper price on this and see how it stacks up.

I've had mixed experiences of steel bracelets, on the one hand my F1 Kirium bracelet is absolutely top notch, so comfortable and so well made I can't imagine ever switching that to a rubber strap even though one is available (to be honest I don't think it looks anything like as good anyway, although that orange leather strap is beyond distressing!).

CL111A.BA0700     CL111A.FT6002     WL5210.FC6119

On the other hand, the bracelet/clasp on the older models I've owned annoyed the hell out of me, hence why I replaced with rubber. The older clasps in particular aren't terribly well designed and tend to have edges which while not exactly 'sharp' are pronounced enough to annoy your wrist. Mind you this problem can also apply to rubber straps, I had to replace the rubber on my Formula One because the clasp dug into my wrist so much that I couldn't wear it at all in the end (see here for the full story).

Which leaves leather/aligator, which I don't have much experience of to be honest, apart from the odd occasions when I've tried on Carreras and Monacos. I'm not a fan of leather straps, albeit I concede that the Monaco doesn't really look right on anything else, but I'm hard pushed to decide which of these looks the worst... 

CW2111.FC6172   CAW2114.FT6021   WW2110.FT6005

In contrast this Monaco looks great with it's leather strap with colour highlight stitching...

CAW2117.FC6271

In any case, if I'm to add a Monaco to my collection (as is seeming increasingly likely) then I'm going to have to get used to a leather strap of some description.



BUYING EXPERIENCE - TAG Heuer BT0702 Strap
http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/%23BT0702%20%28Strap%29

BUYING EXPERIENCE - TAG Heuer BT0704 Strap
http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/%23BT0714%20%28Strap%29

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, thank you.
    I have just bought aqua racer caliber 5, with bracelet. But feels it's a bit dressy for me.
    I'm keen to buy nylon strap. Will FC6445 fit my aquaracer WAY211, and where can I buy the strap? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post, thank you.
    I have just bought aqua racer caliber 5, with bracelet. But feels it's a bit dressy for me.
    I'm keen to buy nylon strap. Will FC6445 fit my aquaracer WAY211, and where can I buy the strap? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      Thanks for visiting my blog. It looks like the FC6445 is particular to the carbon Aquaracer, it may fit but I doubt TAG Heuer will confirm this. If your watch is a WAY211A you can get a FC6362 which has yellow stitching, or if it's a WAY211B you can get a FC6363 which has blue stitching. You should be able to order these from any distributor or jeweller that sells TAG Heuer. Rob

      Delete