Tuesday 20 December 2016

SPOTLIGHT ON: Goodwood Festival of Speed Carrera Collection

CV2A1J.FC6301   CV201AE.FC6233   CV201AD.FC6323

This collection was released in 2012 and features one day/date Carrera in 43mm, and two date only models with a diameter of 41mm. All three use the Calibre 16 movement, although the 43mm is the only one to say as much on the dial. 

As it happens, I've already written about the day/date version as I tried it on in October when I visited the TAG boutique in Cheshire Oaks. I wasn't terribly struck on it then, and to be honest I haven't changed my mind much. I don't know what it is about that orange stripe, but it just doesn't seem to work. With so many interruptions to it's outline and the confusing extra orange part around the left hand sub-dial, it ends up looking a bit of a mess. Perhaps a very thin white line along the edges would have defined it so much better, especially as the contrast between the orange and grey doesn't seem anything like as pronounced as you would expect.

CV2A1J.FC6301

Yes, I agree, this picture makes it look a lot better... but still, just losing the sub dial ring would have been a great improvement in my opinion. I won't say too much more about this one as I've already reviewed it (link at the bottom of the page).

Moving on, we come to the CV201AE.FC6233, which has the horizontal band, and to be honest I'm not terribly sure about this one either. I didn't notice until I looked at a closer picture, but that orange stripe just looks odd.

CV201AE.FC6233

Perhaps if it had been a narrower band of orange and it had been above and below the white it would have looked better, more balanced. As it is it's a nice idea that doesn't quite work for me. It's a shame because it's a nice layout with the Goodwood and TAG logos nicely centred on the white portion, but the very symmetrical design only serves to highlight the fact that the orange part looks odd. The white works really nicely with the two black subdials, but I think if they really wanted to have that orange at the bottom they should have treated the middle stripe as one element and centred it on the dial, as it is the white is central and the orange is closer to the 4 and 8 markers than the top of the white is to the 10 and 2 markers, which emphasizes the wrongness of it in my opinion. It's one of those things that would bug the hell out of me if I owned this watch I think.

CV201AD.FC6233

Lastly we come to least unusual looking of the three watches, and maybe it's no coincidence that it looks the best of the three. Strange really, because I'm usually all for something different! This one seems to have been better thought out than the other two, and the smaller 9 O'Clock subdial works well with the white stripe down the left side. Placing a stripe down a round face is a tricky thing, and it looks like it's slightly further to the left than would be ideal, but taking into account the placement of the subdials it's the best compromise available.

All three watches were made in a limited quantity of 250 pieces, and on balance I'd have to say the CV201AD is the one I would buy. It's just a shame because if the stripe was centred as I suggested I think the CV201AE would be by far the most interesting choice.


My 'On the Wrist' post about the CV2A1J.FC6301
http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/on-wrist-carrera-calibre-16-chronograph.html

More on these three watches on Calibre 11
http://www.calibre11.com/goodwood-festival-of-speed-carrera/

No comments:

Post a Comment