Friday 23 December 2016

SPOTLIGHT ON: Formula One 24 Calibre S

CAH7011.BA0850

I came across one of these for sale on Watch Finder the other day, four years old and offered at £905 (bit of an odd amount don't you think?) with a RRP of £1450, it seems like rather a good deal. Not only do you get the cool Calibre S hybrid movement (as seen in the yellow Aquaracer I posted about the other day), with this you also get a touch of the TAG 'Gulf' look as well.

Not too sure what the significance of the 24 is on the dial, maybe it's just an echo of the Monaco 24 styling? But whatever, it's just another little detail which is making me consider very carefully whether I should be adding this one to my collection. That is one very cool dial after all... so different and unique, with such a great combination of colours.

My only concern is the size, at 44mm I'm not sure how it will look on the wrist. It will probably be okay, the Heuer01 is 45mm after all, But I suspect this will be somewhat thinner which can make it look a bit 'dinner platey'. 

Inevitably, I'm already thinking about rubber straps for this, I would assume the lug width will most likely be 22mm on a 44mm case, so the strap from my WAH1110-0 won't fit. But I'm sure TAG make something very similar in a 22mm width.

Annoyingly, Watchfinder have recently sold a slightly newer model for £150 less, which if nothing else gives me pause for thought. Maybe I can find one a little cheaper elsewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment