Wednesday 21 December 2016

SPOTLIGHT ON: Autavia Chronograph (2003 Re-issue)

CY2111.BA0775

With the re-issue of the Autavia coming sometime in 2017, I was interested to find out that the model had been re-issued (briefly) once before. I only realised this when I was scouring through the old catalogues for my GALLERY BLOG, probably because it seems the Autavia was anything but a success and was withdrawn after only two years in production.

The watch was made in three versions, the black/orange version above, a white/blue version and a limited edition of 150 pieces made in gold with a white face. I don't know about you, but for me the dial of the gold version absolutely screams 'Rolex Daytona'.

CY5140.FC8158

Actually I rather like the dial, but I'm not really a gold watch kind of person, and then there's the thing which puts me off all three watches - the case. I guess if you are a fan of the Omega Speedmaster II then you might find this appealing, but for me it's too retro and cushiony. Which is a shame because the dials of all three watches are quite stylish and would look great in a round case. I think the white/blue version is my favourite of the three, and a quick Google suggests that you could pick one up for about £2600. Not sure what the retail price was in 2003, but they've probably been a fair investment.

CY2110.BA0775

Apparently, the new 2017 Autavia is going to be branded 'Heuer' rather than 'TAG Heuer', which makes total sense as this could have been one of the causes of the last re-issue failing. It will sit nicely alongside the 40th anniversary Monza and the 'Heuer' branded Monacos in the range and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a huge success this time.

I believe the price is likely to be around the same price as the Monza as well (about £4000), which puts it well out of my comfort zone, even if I could get past the case. Who knows, maybe when I actually get to see a new one in the jewellers window it will change my mind. I doubt it, but you never know. 


Read about the original Heuer Autavia on Calibre 11

Read about the TAG Heuer Autavia on Calibre 11
http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-autavia-reedition/

Owners review of the CY2110.BA0775 by 'Heuerville'
https://heuerville.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/tag-heuer-autavia-siffert-cy2110/

No comments:

Post a Comment