Friday 9 December 2016

2000 Series Grand Prix Circuit Collection in Display Box


While researching for my new gallery blog, I came across this set of watches in the 'Limited Editions' thread on the Calibre 11 Forum. The set consists of five 2000 Series quartz watches, each sporting the name of a different F1 Grand Prix on the dial:

USA (CK111A-0)
Monaco (CK1116-0)
Hockenheim (CK1118-0)
Monza (CK1119-0)
Silverstone (CK1117-0)

As ever with TAG Heuer, the available information isn't that er... available. But given these are 2000 Series we can assume they are from the 90s/early 2000s, and as the US Grand Prix was not held between 1992 and 1999, I think it's safe to assume they are from the early 2000s.

The set was issued in a rather stylish box, but there seems to be some disagreement as to whether there were 300 sets made or 800 sets made. It seems there were definitely 800 of each watch made, but whether 500 of each were sold separately is unclear. It's certainly a smashing looking set, with each watch having it's own capsule, with a diagram of the circuit marked on it (clearly the US one is Indianapolis, I should have looked at that earlier as it would have told me straight away 2000 onwards).

 

Who wouldn't want to find that under their Christmas tree? I certainly would, and if you are interested in securing one of these I did managed to find one for sale which was being offered for about $3,500. That seems quite reasonable really, especially when the Monaco watch is for sale on eBay priced at £1900. And if you think about it, $3500 divided by 5 is only $700, plus you've got the box and capsules... seems quite a good deal really.

The only thing is, do you actually want five pretty similar watches in your collection? I'm not sure I do, and I would probably rather spend £3500 on a Carrera or a Monaco or something similar. That said, the watches are quite nice, I think if I had to choose one it would probably be the Hockenheim model, as I've always liked the look of the black dial on the 2000 series. 

I must admit I do like that watch companies do these sets, even if I'm not sure I would actually buy one myself. I believe Omega made a set with a ridiculous number of Speedmasters in, which contained one watch which was only available in that set (I think it's the Apollo 14 watch). 


Maybe TAG could produce a nice box with say, all the Monaco 24 watches in...? Or maybe they could update the Grand Prix box set idea with a selection of watches like the Carrera (Monaco GP), the Monaco (Singapore GP,) etc...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own set 10 of 300. Any interest? Cant figure out how to send you a pic of the plaque on the box with the 10 of 300 designation
    Vess33@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you can't post pictures here. A few years ago I would probably have been interested... unfortunately I have since come to my senses and have been trying to shrink my collection rather than adding to it. Good luck with your sale though.... what a great thing to own. Rob

      Delete