Friday 25 November 2016

ON THE WRIST: Carrera Chronograph Calibre 1887

CAR2A10.BA0799

Watches of Switzerland / London 24th November 2016

Came across this watch pre-owned in the Oxford Street 'Watches of Switzerland', it was eight years old and retailing at £2375. Had no idea what the 'new' cost should be, and was quite surprised to find it listed on Goldsmiths website at £3800 when I got home. Quite glad I didn't know that at the time, because that seems like a bit of a bargain to me and might have coloured my thinking process.

Nice display back showing off the Calibre 1887 movement (which is very nice to see), slightly less impressed with the bracelet and in particular the clasp which didn't seem to close quite as flush as it should. Also the bracelet felt like it was about the right size, but didn't seem to sit well on my wrist. I don't think I could have taken a link out, and I don't think there was any micro adjustment possible on the clasp either, which was a bit of a concern. The bracelet looks very similar to the one they are now using on the Heuer 01 and I find it a bit clunky somehow, it has a similar problem with the lugs as well, looking blocky... but that could be because I am used to the rubber strap on the Heuer 01 which blends so much better.

As before, though I really like the 'minute marker' style of these Carreras, for some reason they just never seem to pop that well. I don't know if it's because they are too reflective or what, but it would be nice to see a version with lume on to see if that solved the problem. This watch has some nice details, like the red on the top pusher and the tip of the second hand, and this particular piece was in good condition for its age (save perhaps the clasp issue) but for me it's a little bit too run of the mill to get me genuinely excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment