Friday 21 October 2016

ON THE WRIST: Aquaracer 300M Calibre 5 Black Phantom Limited Edition

WAY218B.FC6364

David M Robinsons / Chester 17th October 2016

When I first saw pictures of the black phantom Aquaracer my first thought was 'what's the point of that exactly?', however my friend and fellow TAG enthusiast was rather more enthusiastic, and even more enthusiastic when he found out it was a numbered limited edition. I remained skeptical until I happened to see one in the Goldsmiths at the MK Centre. In real life it is very different to the pictures, the case looks darker, the dial lighter, and the hands and markers catch the light very nicely and made me think again.

On my recent visit to Chester I had the opportunity to try one on, and this really brought it home to me just how much I dislike the cyclops over the date. It really is quite disgusting... and I don't think that I am ever going to be able to look past it. Maybe on a bigger watch, I don't know, I'd have to see it... and really the chronograph version is my only option on the black phantom because this also looked incredibly small on my wrist. I don't really understand why, because it's 41mm and I wear a Formula One quartz everyday.

Part of the problem could be that I was wearing my Heuer 01 Skeleton, and that's 45mm so maybe the comparison was too stark, but also I've noticed that black watches tend to wear smaller on the wrist. I first noticed this with a PVD Monaco, and it seems to hold true with other watches as well. Strangely at the same time I tried on the three hand Aquaracer with the yellow and black rubber strap, which I believed to be 41mm as well, but definitely looked larger. I thought the three handers were 41mm and the chronographs were 43mm (same as the black phantom) so that has left me rather confused, to say the least!

Anyway, size aside, it is still a nice looking piece, however as usual I take issue with the strap. I suppose I should applaud TAG for being innovative with their straps and not just making everything on a bracelet, but these nylon things aren't doing it for me I'm afraid. Probably better than a 'technical' strap (a Nato in effect), it feels okay, but it looks odd, and the one on the non black phantom Aquaracer had a very muted yellow backing which is nothing like as sumptuous as on the rubber strap. 

For sure if I bought this or the chrono version I would have to get myself a rubber strap to put it on, and this is then of course an additional cost. I think I've pretty much ruled this one out to be honest, but I will have a look at a chronograph version in the future. Fortunately they aren't a limited edition, so there's no rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment